So we thought we would go ahead and make a decent size one for them. Our previous ball pit was made with their old pack-n-play, but we decided now that they needed a proper ball pit, after all they are big boys now and it only seemed right they had a ball pit to fit their needs (sensory that is).
All this past week we worked on drawing up plans, we had decided to use PVC pipe as an exoskeleton and netting for the containment of the balls. We had several sizes that we went through before deciding upon 4ft X 4ft X 2ft for the frame.
Here are the plans we used.
We decided it would just be easier to have the pipe cut all to the same length, it made for much easier figuring on our part anyways. We then tried to figure out how many balls we needed and decided that 2300 seemed like a good enough number.
This past Saturday we decided was the day to go ahead and make it.
Eric worked on cutting the PVC while I worked on sewing the netting to fit. My first attempt worked out well in terms of going together and containing the balls, however we didn't use a high enough quality netting and Scott ripped it. So I ended up having to go back to Joann's and get some high pressure cargo netting, which so far has not ripped (fingers crossed). What I did for this was I cut a piece that was a 4ft square and then four pieces that were 2ft by 4 ft for the sides. I then attached the sides to the bottom and then to each other to form the fabric box. I then made eight tabs for each side out of some scrap denim I had, I made those 4in wide by 5.25in (so the PVC will fit through them). Then once I had those all attached to the sides I slide it on the PVC and we dumped all the balls back into to. We also decided to make a ladder for the boys to get in and out of the ball pit all by them selves.
And viola, ball pit fun!